Saturday, January 26, 2013

Vegan Breakfast Sausage

Click HERE to order our new cookbook, The Chubby Vegetarian: 100 Inspired Vegetable Recipes for the Modern Table (Susan Schadt Press, November 2016). The recipe below is featured in the book!


This is a vegan version of our Vegetarian Breakfast Sausage. Many TCV readers love it and depend on it, and while we sure are blushing and aw-shucks-ing about that recipe's popularity, we're still never satisfied. Simplifying and veganizing our original recipe also improved the texture and flavor. Who knew that could be done? 

These are great served alongside some eggs or scrambler or use them to make a stellar vegetarian sausage and biscuit using our 3-2-1 Drop Biscuits. You could also get creative and crumble the cooked sausage into the filling for stuffed bell peppers or crumble a little on a pizza with peppers and onions. Basically, you can use it anywhere you'd usually find regular sausage.

Vegan Breakfast Sausage

1 teaspoon canola oil (like Whole Foods 365 brand)
1/4 cup finely diced shallot
3 cloves garlic (finely diced)
8 ounces crimini mushrooms (finely diced)
1 cup finely diced celery (about 2 ribs)
1/2 cup finely diced carrot (1 medium)
1 1/2 teaspoon rubbed sage
1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes
1/4 teaspoon clove
1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
1 tablespoon soy sauce (like Bragg's)
1 tablespoon maple syrup
sea salt and cracked black pepper (to taste)
1 1/2 cups uncooked quick-ccooking oats (like Whole Foods 365 brand)

Heat the canola oil in a large frying pan over medium-high heat. Add the shallot, garlic, mushrooms, celery, and carrot to the pan. Stir consistently and sauté until all of the liquid has released and then evaporated; this should take about 5 minutes. Add the sage, red pepper flakes, clove, nutmeg, soy sauce, and maple syrup to the pan. Stir to incorporate and remove from heat. Allow mixture to cool. Add the uncooked quick-cooking oats and knead the mixture until everything is well incorporated. Add salt and pepper to taste. Cover and set aside in the fridge for at least 15 minutes to allow the moisture to distribute.

Next, pinch about 2 tablespoons of the mixture off, roll it into a ball, and flatten it to for a patty. Repeat. In a medium pan over medium heat, pan-fry disks in enough canola oil to coat the bottom of the pan until nicely browned. Drain on paper towels. Serve hot.

This recipe makes about 2 dozen sausage patties. Freeze uncooked patties in a single layer then store them in a food storage bag in the freezer for up to 3 months.

15 comments:

Eileen said...

Why have I never thought to make my own veg sausage? BRILLIANT. I am now lookig extra-forward to our next brunch. :)

The Yogi Vegetarian said...

Sounds great; We normally used minced seitan and chickpeas as the base for vegan sausages (see our blog if you are interested)but our son has recently become allergic to wheat so that's off the menu now when he's around. This looks like a great alternative; thanks :)

Chubby McGee said...

I think I may have to try this. I'm wondering if I can play around with it enough to skip the frying part. I'm not a fan of oil. :(

Rochelle @ WheatlessRochelle.com said...

Wow, that looks so good! And it'd be easy to make gluten free. Thanks for sharing!

Veggie said...

Looks really nice. I would love to have this on a grilled cheese. Yummie!

Anonymous said...

Just made it. tasts great. Thanks for sharing.

Anonymous said...

I made this without the oil and it was great and even less fattening.

Anonymous said...

Just made a double batch for the third time since you posted this awesome recipe! These have become a weekend breakfast staple for us. Love, love, love 'em. THANKS Justin & Amy!

Anonymous said...

First time trying homemade veggie sausage and I'm hooked. My girls loved it and couldn't stop eating them! Thanks a bunch!

Shari said...

I checked out the vegetarian version. I notice you substituted oats for garbanzo bean flour in the vegan recipe. Would this work if I used 1/2 oats and 1/2 garbanzo bean flour?

The Chubby Vegetarian said...

S., we've only made it like the recipe but you could experiment and see -- LMK if you do and tell us how it works. Seems like it might be just fine since it works individually in the separate recipes?

TCV

Karen Joslin said...

I made these recently, and my first few were too crumbly because I mistakenly thought that all rolled oats were quick-cooking. Not so! :) To help them hold together better, I cooked up some French green lentils, mashed a cup of them, and added them into the remaining mix. It helped a lot, and the lentils complemented the other flavors well. I'll definitely be making these again when I run out of the ones in the freezer!

Kathryn said...

These are so good! I had to make a few substitutions for lack for ingredients though. I used oyster mushrooms in place of crimini, sweet onion in place of shallots, I had no clove or nutmeg so I used pumpkin pie spice instead, and I used agave instead of maple syrup. I also did not use any oil and instead of frying them, I baked the sausages at 400 degrees for 8 minutes on each side. I am going to make these all the time now, thank you!

Unknown said...

This sounds delicious, can't wait to make these soon!

Slamet Riyadi said...

Delicious and healthy snacks, happy to get the recipe... Thanks !