Friday, August 6, 2010

Zucchini + Purple Basil Slaw

My new favorite toy is called a julienne peeler. The one I have is constructed of stainless steel and is made by Kuhn Rikon. It retails for $20, but I bought mine on a whim at T.J. Maxx for about $7. I've only had it for about a week now, but I can't imagine my kitchen without it. It's perfect for making fresh garnishes, cutting vegetables for noodle soup, or preparing a flavorful slaw like this one.

I tend to think of slaw as a Southern dish, but here I have taken it all the way to Sicily by using a few Italian flavors and serving it atop a pan-fried panelle sandwich. I'm happy to report that there were no leftovers.



Zucchini and Purple Basil Slaw

2 tablespoons mayo (I use vegan mayo)
10-12 purple basil leaves
1 garlic clove
1 tablespoon olive oil
splash of white balsamic vinegar
salt & pepper to taste
2 medium zucchini
1 medium carrot

Using a food processor or mini-prep, blend the first six ingredients to make the dressing. Then, using a julienne peeler, break down both the zucchini and the carrot into thin strips. Toss vegetables with the dressing and allow it all to sit for about 10-15 minutes to let the flavors come together. Use this slaw on sandwiches, eggs, polenta, or salad. It is a easy and delicious way to work some raw veggies into your diet.

2 comments:

vegiebug said...

yum yum yum, that looks delicious! I want one of those vegie cutters now!

A said...

i just made this sandwich, and it was SHOOTING STAR amazing.
thank you so, so much for sharing it.