Monday, October 5, 2009

Super-Easy Chipotle Enchilada Sauce

In a previous post I gave you my recipe for a slow-simmered enchilada sauce which is great if you have the time. If you are in a hurry this slap-dash version is nearly as good and ready in just a few minutes. Use it to dress up enchiladas, tamales, or your-soon-to-be-famous huevos rancheros.
Place 2 small cans of fire-roasted tomatoes, 4-5 cloves of garlic, and 2-3 canned chipotle chilies into a blender or food processor. Blend until very smooth. Place sauce in a pot with about a tablespoon of olive oil and heat it through on the stovetop. That is it. The smoky complexity of the chipotle chilies makes it taste as if it has been simmering all day. Only you will know the secret.

To make a tamale filling throw two sliced portobello mushroom caps, a sliced green pepper, and half a sliced onion into the sauce and simmer for about half an hour. Strain out the vegetables and add a can of drained black beans to the simmered veggies. pulse mixture in a food processor and then mix in 1/4 cup of wheat gluten. Fill tamales with the black bean and mushroom mixture. Serve tamales with your enchilada sauce, cotija cheese, avocados, cilantro, and a lime as shown here.

6 comments:

Sarah S. said...

Simple and lovely! I will be trying this sauce soon. I'm also very interested in the tamales, are these really as easy as you're making them sound? :)

Bianca said...

Yum! If I ever get around to making tamales from scratch, which I've still never tried, I'm using this recipe. It sounds soooo good. Black beans, chipotle peppers, fire-roasted tomatoes! Oh my!

Jessica said...

Even though I am IN LOVE with enchiladas, I have never made my own sauce. I must try it soon!

Anonymous said...

Any chance you can use your influence to get Whole Foods to start carrying the new Field Roast meatloaf? It looks wonderful, and knowing Field Roast, it is.

Sophia said...

That looks so tasty, I want to eat it.
http://whatyourmommadidntknow.blogspot.com/

Beatrice said...

This is definitely an improvement over my usual quickie enchilada sauce, which involves canned tomato sauce and a tablespoon of chili powder. Fire-roasted tomatoes plus chipotle chilies sounds amazing.