Tuesday, February 10, 2009

Blood Orange and Cherry Quick Bread

It is such a luxury to wake up and make breakfast from scratch. This morning I thought I wanted a cranberry-orange tea bread, but I ended up eyeing the blood oranges (their season started this month!) and the orange flower water on my counter. Also, I was out of cranberries, so I chopped up the dried cherries I did have. Here is the quick recipe:

2 c flour
1 tsp salt
2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp. baking soda
3/4 c raw sugar
1/4 c soy margarine

2 eggs, beaten (or 3 if small)
grated rind of 3 blood oranges
juice of 3 blood oranges, about 3/4 c
1/2 c chopped dried cherries
1 tbsp. orange flower water
Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Butter a loaf pan and set aside. Mix dry ingredients and then mix in wet ingredients until just mixed. Batter will be thick. Pour into loaf pan and bake at 350 for 45 minutes. Perfect for Sunday morning breakfast!

7 comments:

Bianca said...

This bread is making me hungry! I love sweet breads, especially for breakfast smothered with some soy marg and maybe some vegan cream cheese.

Dave said...

Everything you post looks amazing! I especially love a good bread. I am hungry now, if only there was a kitchen available for me to use at work...

Chris said...

The picture makes it look like the texture of soda bread, one of my favorites. I've never used orange flower water - any suggestions as to where to buy/other uses? :) And I wholeheartedly agree: Sunday morning made-from-scratch breakfast is the best...

Michael Hughes said...

Would I have to adjust the measurement if I used butter in place of soy margarine?

The Chubby Vegetarian said...

I think butter would be fine -- probably even better.

TCV gave me the orange flower water, and he bought at the Fresh Market.

As a side note, some sort of chemical reaction turned this bread greenish! Maybe it was the cherries with the citrus. I hear that rolling the cherries in flour before adding to the batter may help. So if you know of a remedy, please let me know!

A

Anonymous said...

I have never tried blood oranges. Thanks to this post, I will! This bread looks yummy and easy to make. I'll probably substitute whole wheat flour for half the flour. By the way, what can I use if I don't have orange flower water?

Thanks!

jenna said...

I had some fresh cherries and searched cherry bread recipes, found your blog and am SO excited. I tried this recipe using fresh cherries and lemon zest along with cranberry juice instead of the blood oranges and mmmmm....mmmmmm.....good! I can't wait to try some other recipes of yours. I did use butter instead of soy margarine and melted it, let it cool a bit and then, added the eggs and juice to that before mixing with the dry....oh, and I tossed in about 1/3 cup of finely ground flaxseed. YUM!