Thursday, January 1, 2009

Classic Cinnamon-Raisin Bread Pudding with Vanilla Bean Sauce

As a little gift last week, some nice person gave us cinnamon-raisin bread that kind of resembled Polynesian bread. I froze it and knew I was going to use it for bread pudding, one of my no-set-recipe-needed desserts. I have made chocolate bread pudding, apple, pineapple, you name it. Sometimes, though, the original remains the best. This is so easy to make and is great to have on a chilly January night. I was thrilled that Lindsey and Mo got to try it on their last night here in town. 

Bread Pudding:
Cut or rip the bread into 2-inch cubes and set aside in a bowl. Whisk 1 cup of milk, 1/4 cup half and half, 2 eggs, 1/2 cup raw sugar and 1/2 cup brown sugar. Add 1 tbsp. vanilla, 1 tsp. cinnamon, and a generous pinch of salt. Heat 1/2 cup dark rum with 1/2 cup golden raisins. Pour milk mixture and softened raisins onto the bread. Mix gently. Pour into buttered pan and sprinkle with a mix of raw sugar and brown sugar. Bake at 350 degrees for 30 minutes. Serve warm. 

Vanilla Bean Sauce:
Whisk 1 cup confectioners sugar, 1 tsp. vanilla paste, 1-2 tbsps. milk, and 1 tbsp. whiskey. Refrigerate and then drizzle sauce across warm bread pudding. 

(Also, don't forget to register for TCV's upcoming Vegetarian Cooking Class. I will be his dutiful little helper, and I know you don't want to miss out on that dynamic!)

2 comments:

Bianca said...

Can you believe I've never had bread pudding? There are plenty of vegan recipes for it, but I've yet to try one.

The Chubby Vegetarian said...

Oh, you must. Err on the side of it being too wet instead of too dry and it's perfect!

A